Lab Tech - Bakersfield Terminal (74229)
Requisition ID: 74229
Liquid asphalt laboratory technician conducts qualitative and quantitative chemical and physical testing analyses for quality or process control and/or development new products. Provides technical support to operations, while ensuring a safe, efficient work environment, with the timely production, blending and shipping of products. This job involves shift work, overtime, and working as a team.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
- Performs testing on asphalt cements, emulsions and cutbacks.
- Prepares standards, calibrates, troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs instruments.
- Prepares chemical reagents needed to perform routine testing
- Performs special tests as required
- Performs shipping of hazardous and non-hazardous material when qualified
- Keeps records for QA/QC data validation.
- Performs special projects as assigned by Technical group, Operations or Laboratory Manager.
- Trains Laboratory Technicians in the use of instruments/new methods. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs daily checks to equipments to ensure the quality assurance system of the lab
- Responsible for making hand blends to perform routine testing
- Responsible for reporting data with accuracy and precision
Knowledge and Skills:
- Liquid asphalt testing experience
- Performance Grade asphalt and conventional asphalt testing experience.
- Emulsion products testing experience
- Formulation development
- AMRL Lab Certification experience
- National Binder Technician Certification. preferred
- Bachelor's degree. preferred.
- One year of laboratory testing experience required.
- Ability to maintain, calibrate, troubleshoot, and perform routine repair/maintenance.
- Knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Ability to use work stations and computers as required.
- Must be able to follow written and oral instructions.
- Must be able to work with mathematical concepts and solve practical problems.
- Ability to communicate easily with a wide variety of audiences including management as well as external vendors.
- Ability to communicate well in person, over the phone and through E-mail.
- Demonstrates strong customer service skills and a collaborative approach to problem solving.
Physical Demands :
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to use computer keyboards and documents. The employee is required to frequently walk distances of up to ¼ mile. The employee is occasionally required to reach overhead, stoop and bend at the waist
- The employee is required to lift up to 55 pounds (fire extinguisher) and push and carry 50 pounds from the floor to knuckle level.
- Must comply with OSHA Respiratory Protection guidelines and the company respiratory protection program which includes a medical evaluation and fit test to determine the ability to wear a respirator. Must be able to don appropriate respiratory equipment to protect the employee whenever respirators are required
Andeavor, formerly Tesoro, is a premier refining, marketing and logistics company in the western United States. Our Company operates 10 refineries with a combined capacity of approximately 1.2 million barrels per day, an extensive logistics network, and a retail-marketing system that includes approximately 3,000 retail stations marketed under multiple well-known fuel brands. We employ more than 13,000 talented people.
Our strength lies in our investment in employees and in their future. We measure success not only by the products we bring to our customers, or the financial results we deliver to our shareholders, but also by remaining true to our core values of safety and environmental stewardship, respect and integrity.
Discover your strengths and invest in your future by applying today.
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Vet / Disability
Posting Notes: || Bakersfield || California || United States (US) || SF:LI-AA-1 || |Commercial || Bakersfield ||
Job Reference #: 74229