Advanced Process Controls Engineer (69752)
Requisition ID: 69752
Provides process control engineering support for refinery operations and capital projects. Ensures refinery process unit static and dynamic control objectives are met through tuning, development of control strategies and troubleshooting existing regulatory and multi-variable control configurations for continuous operations in refinery process units. Works with a variety of departments including Operations, Process Engineering, Reliability Engineering, Economics & Planning and Maintenance as well as outside consultants and vendors.
- This posting is for a role on the LAR APC (Advanced Process Control) team within the LAR Process Control group and includes work with both Carson and Wilmington operations.
- Primary responsibilities include building new APC and monitoring and maintaining approximately 25+ existing APC.
- Additional responsibilities include reporting on monthly APC metrics, training operating crews on APC and mentoring process control engineering team on APC
- The LAR refinery uses Aspen APC tools
- Provides process control engineering support for refinery operations and capital projects using dynamic engineering techniques bringing time and frequency domains to normal engineering tools. Ensures process units behave as linearly and predictively as possible. Utilizes Bode plots, Nyquist diagrams, material and energy balances in tuning/troubleshooting and multi-variable control configurations for efficient and profitable operations in refinery process units.
- Provides day-to-day support for multi-variable controllers to ensure model certainty throughout assigned refinery process units. Works with Processing Engineering, Economics & Planning and APC (advanced process control) team, where applicable, for solutions to moderate and more complex problems.
- Stays abreast of latest control technology through attendance at technical seminars and technical training.
- Provides capital and expense project support. Under general supervision, conducts feasibility and simulation studies evaluating economic value and impact on existing control systems’ installations. Reviews project documentation, drawings, equipment specifications and complex loop narratives.
- Participates on teams to support refinery activities such as process unit alarm management defect elimination, Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) and Management of Change (MOC).
- Works extended hours, as required, including nights and weekends in process operations environment and during periods of inclement weather. Accesses areas of refinery requiring the use of stairs and/or ladders to inspect control equipment.
- Responds to process unit control upsets during off hours. Shares on-call duty with department engineers.
- Minimum undergraduate degree in chemical, electrical or mechanical engineering required.
- Minimum 7 years’ process or process controls engineering experience in petrochemical industry required.
- Process control engineering experience including implementing and maintaining regulatory control and/or multi-variable control strategies on DCS preferred.
- Advanced Process Control experience preferred.
Andeavor, formerly Tesoro, is a premier refining, marketing and logistics company in the western United States. Our Company operates 10 refineries with a combined capacity of approximately 1.2 million barrels per day, an extensive logistics network, and a retail-marketing system that includes approximately 3,000 retail stations marketed under multiple well-known fuel brands. We employ more than 13,000 talented people.
Our strength lies in our investment in employees and in their future. We measure success not only by the products we bring to our customers, or the financial results we deliver to our shareholders, but also by remaining true to our core values of safety and environmental stewardship, respect and integrity.
Discover your strengths and invest in your future by applying today.
Employees must be able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Vet / Disability
Posting Notes: || Los Angeles || California || United States (US) || SF:LI-LW1 || |Engineering || 90810 ||
Job Reference #: 69752